Ok, seriously though, I've been doing this bathroom renovation and trying to do the majority of it myself. I realize my husband is a VERY handy man, but he is also really busy, so I didn't want to ask him to do everything on this project. I wanted to be able to say that I did most of it myself, not giving up at the first sign of frustration and caving and asking my husband to do it.
So, I did it. Sanded, stained, applied poly, primed, painted and now it was time to swap out my light switches, receptacles and light fixture. It was time to play with electricity. I wanted to switch out my old creme colored receptacles and switches for new white ones.
I've read Thrifty Decor Chicks post about installing a dimmer switch, and by golly, if she can do it so can I. I was bound and determined to get this thing done.
I started by going to the breaker box. Of course, NOTHING was labeled properly. I finally found the switch that turned off my light in the bathroom and decided to go for it. You would think that the light and receptacle would be on the same breaker right? Wrong. NEVER assume that. Luckily I had the good sense enough to plug something into the recep even after the light went out to make DOUBLE sure that there was no juice going to the outlet. There was. I freaked a little and my heart skipped a beat.
I could just see myself fried to smithereens on the floor when my 12 year old came home.
So, I left the recep alone and decided to just proceed with the light. This actually worked in my favor because I was able to plug a lamp in to give me light while working.
I unscrewed the light switch and pulled it out from the wall. Scared to death to touch it. Doesn't help that my husband was posting photos on my Facebook wall like this:
It took me WAY longer than expected. I sweat. A lot. Yes, I was freaked out. No, it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be.
I was done for the day on that one. The next day I decided to take a stab at the receptacle. Took me a while but I finally found the breaker for that one as well. Flipped the breaker off and just went at it. This one took me about twenty minutes because, after all I'm a professional now at this stuff.
|Here is the "Before" shot|
|After I got the recep off here is what you are left with, ground wire (copper), white wire and black wire|
|Again, I twisted my wire instead of going through the holes. Much easier in my opinion|
|All done! SO much prettier!|
But I did it people. It looks SO MUCH BETTER.
|Before. I should have donated it, but I think I did someone a favor by tossing the ugly thing.|
|After. My pretty new light fixture. (yes, it's an awful photo)|
However this project has been my Everest, my lobster from Julie and Julia, my obstacle that I had to get over to continue, and I'm pretty darn proud of myself for completing it!
Now its time to go hang some photos....