Sunday, May 10, 2009

Crazy things I love about being a mom

*I started writing this blog about two months ago but never finished it.  In the spirit of Mothers Day I think I'll post it now.

Yesterday I was in the grocery store digging for my wallet at the checkout counter and I came across two little GI-Joe's in my purse, and it hit me that this didn't annoy me one bit.  In fact, I realized in that moment that I LOVE having those GI-Joes in my purse.  

So, I started to think about all the little things about being a mom I love.  Little things that would annoy someone who isn't a mom, things I will miss when they are grown up.

I love my mini-van.  I kicked and screamed about letting go of my awesome Santa Fe I loved and trading it in for a more practical roomy vehicle that didn't make me want to tear my hair out on road trips.  I wouldn't trade it for anything.  I love driving my mini-van.  It screams "I am a mom" and I love it.  I only wish it had a DVD player in it, but I'm sure we will have that eventually!

Toys in my bathtub.  With the kids shower out of commission, they have been using ours.  Every morning in order for me to take my shower I have to clean out a whole mess of bath toys .  Some day they will be grown and I won't have those toys in there to clean out and that will make me sad.

As annoying as it sometimes is, I love getting the call from school to come pick up my kid.  Not the fact that they are sick, but the fact that I'm no longer at work and stressing about what time I will miss and will I have to use vacation time.  I can simply go and pick them up.  It is such a blessing that I'm able to stay at home and take care of my babies.

I love buying things for the kids.  Not toys, but clothes and stuff.  It makes me feel like such a mom to go shopping and pick out clothes for my kiddos.  I love buying for them more than I like buying for myself.  I love it when they come home and I have a new shirt or pair of jeans for them.  Or when I get something at the grocery store I know they will love.  I think it makes me happier than it makes them, but it doesn't matter.  I will miss shopping for them when they get old enough to shop for themselves. ( Now shopping FOR them is much more fun sometimes than shopping WITH them...do NOT get the two confused.)

I love it when Evie runs away from me, yes it's a bit disobedient, but she is so cute running with her extremely blonde hair bouncing and a big cheesy grin and laughing because she thinks it's some sort of game (she has the best smile).

I love the fact that I can embarrass my children.  You would think this makes me feel old, but it doesn't.  It just makes me realize I'm a mom.  Just like my Dad loves to sing in the grocery store and drive me nuts till this very day (he actually did this back in October when he was visiting me...he did it JUST to embarrass me).  Anyhow I LOVE my dad, this is something I will miss about him someday...just how I'm sure he misses being able to embarrass me on a regular basis.  I was having a conversation with my oldest a few months ago and she said "mom you embarrass me around my friends when you try to be funny, and you really are not."  Brett said a month ago when I was headed to his class "I don't like it when you come to my class.  It embarrasses me because the boys think you are pretty".  Wow a compliment (I guess?) and humiliation all rolled into one.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm starting to grow up.  I love being a mom, and instead of being stressed all the time, I'm realizing that they are little, and only little for such a short time, and the little annoyances like jelly fingerprints on the wall, toys in my purse, and socks scattered all over the house will fade away.  One day I will look back and wonder how it all went by so quickly.

Ah, but that is the day that I will soon become Nana Julie, and that will start a whole new chapter in my life.  Children are a indeed a blessing.

 Don't you see that children are God's best gift? 
      the fruit of the womb his generous legacy? 
   Like a warrior's fistful of arrows 
      are the children of a vigorous youth. 
   Oh, how blessed are you parents, 
      with your quivers full of children! 


Psalm 127:3-4


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...