Monday, October 8, 2007

In the Blink of an Eye

It just seemed like yesterday when I held her in my arms, so little, so tiny. How did she grow up so fast?

Myah is 8 and a half now, and not only has she physically gotten bigger, she is changing in all kinds of ways. She no longer watches "Dora the explorer" but has graduated to "The Suite Life of Zack and Cody". She squeals in the store when she sees a poster of Hannah Montana (who I'm learning is the daughter of Billy Ray Cyrus...) then squeals some more when she sees a picture of Zac Efron. She runs around the house all day squeaking out songs from High School Musical. (I was hoping we raised her to be cooler than that but...)

She gets on the phone with all her little friends from school and I just have to tune her out or I will go bezerk listening to the "like oh my God's" and "nuh uh's".

I knew this day in time was coming when she began to care less and less about barbies and lullabies, and much more about boys and lip gloss.

I want so bad to teach her not to be boy crazy. I want to teach her not to date until she is out of high school. I want her to know how meaningless it is to even date until you find the one that God has planned for you. I want her to not have all the drama and heartache that I experienced.

I sit here and pray, and wonder. How do I teach her all this while not suppressing who she is? Did my parents go as crazy as we are now when I started putting posters of Kirk Cameron, Luke Perry, and many many more on my wall? Did they just grin and bear it while I recorded every episode of the Mickey Mouse Club (yes I'm a dork) just so I could watch them over and over again to see the cute boys?

I guess the most that I can do is instill in her the proper values, and a love for Christ. She still may drool when she sees a poster of Zac Effron, but in her heart I can trust that she has her priorities straight.

Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.

Proverbs 22:6

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...